8 Post-Run Stretches For Your Recovery Routine
Recover like a pro so you can run like one. Take a breather with adidas and learn what post-run stretches to add to your cooldown routine.
8 Post Run Recovery Stretches
1. Glute Stretch
- Stand with your back straight, knees unlocked, and hands on your hips.
- Raise your right leg and cross your right ankle over your left thigh.
- Slowly bend your left knee, moving your hips down into a squat position.
- Pause when you feel a stretch in your right glute. Hold for 30 seconds.
- Return gently to the starting position. Repeat with your other leg.
2. Hip Stretch
- Sit on the floor in pigeon pose, with your forward-facing knee and hip bent in front of you, your back leg straight, and toes untucked.
- Bend forward at the waist, lowering your chest to the ground as you reach your arms straight out on the floor in front of you.
- Hold this position for 30 seconds.
- Switch legs and repeat.
3. Lunging Calf Stretch
- Stand tall with your feet together and your hands on your hips.
- Take a step backward with your right foot.
- Lean forward slightly, keeping your back straight. Press your right heel into the ground for a calf stretch. If this movement is too easy, place your right foot further behind you for a deeper stretch.
- Hold the position for 30 seconds.
- Repeat on the other side.
4. Hip Flexor Stretch
- Stand tall with your feet hip width apart and your hands on your hips.
- Step your right foot forward into a lunge and contract your right glute.
- Reach your left hand overhead and gently stretch it toward your right side, creating a slight bend in your torso.
- Hold this position for 20-30 seconds.
- Return to the starting position.
- Repeat the movement on the opposite side.
5. Interior Thigh Stretch
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and your arms at your sides.
- While keeping your right leg straight, take a large step to the left, shifting your weight to the left side of your body.
- Keep your back straight and place your hands on the thigh of your lunging leg.
- Lunge as low as you can.
- Return to the starting position by pushing through your hip.
- Do a few more reps and then alternate legs.
6. Lower Back Stretch
- Start on all fours with your hands under your shoulders and knees under your hips.
- Drop your head, round your upper back, and take a deep breath in.
- Slowly drop your belly down and lift your head and chest to arch your back as you exhale.
- Return to the neutral starting position and continue this movement.
7. Quad Stretch
- Start out lying on your left side, with your legs stacked and your left hand supporting your head.
- Using your right hand, gently pull your right leg back towards your glutes to feel a stretch in your front thigh.
- Remember to contract your top glute.
- Hold for a few seconds and then return to the starting position.
- Do a few more reps and then switch legs.
8. Hamstring Stretch
- Lay on your back with feet planted in front of you and knees pointed at the ceiling.
- Lift your right knee toward your chest, grasping behind the knee with both hands.
- Slowly encourage your leg towards you and extend it straight up.
- Hold for a beat.
- Relax and bend your knee toward your chest, then place your foot back on the ground.
- Repeat movement a few more times before repeating on the left leg.
Recover Like A Pro
Be the first to know all about stories, launches, and events.